Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Tone

I'm still early enough in the blogging process that I have not set an irrevocable tone for my posts. I was tempted this morning to post another rant about something that irked me, but then I realized I didn't want to be crabby and sarcastic. I also don't want to be trite and silly (i.e., I will try to minimize my mentions of skirts). So, today my post is all about resolve.

I re-learned something about myself this week: I love lists. I don't just love them; I need them. If I don't make a list, I DON'T DO THINGS. Today my list is about 20 items long. It holds every task from "make the bed" to "read two chapters of John" to "cut out Jennifer's outfits." There's also the occasional odd thing like "water water water water water water" which is my reminder to drink six glasses of water today. I don't have high hopes for enjoying the task, but instead I get a thrill from crossing off six waters. It's alarmingly motivating, crossing stuff off. I wonder what my loved ones (and strangers?) could get me to do by putting it on a list.

A benefit of listmaking is that, assuming you have actually stuck to your list, at the end of the day, you can look back on all you accomplished, and this is especially useful for things that are invisible: making a phone call doesn't make the house look any different (unlike making the bed), but it can be gratifying nonetheless. And without a list to look back on, where's that warm fuzzy feeling of accomplishment?

2 Comments:

Blogger OLSON said...

I'm glad I finally found your blog!!
I just told Rob the other day how I needed to start making lists. It's so inefficient to run errands without them. I end up having to go back to the same store again! You have to take time to make a list, but save a lot at the end.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Kassianni said...

i agree wholeheartedly!
go lists!

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home